Skip to content

Wildwood Correctional Complex History

1953 Wildwood constructed as a military communications base

1974 Wildwood turned over to the Kenai Native Association as part of the native land settlement

1983 State leased 19 acres and 6 buildings with option to buy at the end of 3 years. Plan to retrofit and remodel to turn into a 196 bed medium custody male prison. It opened in October 1983.

1985 Wildwood Pretrial Facility (WPT) opened

1993 WCC population reduced to minimum operations

1994 WCC back online as fully functioning long-term facility

1998 Construction of WPT extension begins

2000 WPT extension completed and operational; Wildwood Therapeutic Community opened

2010 Wildwood Transitional Program (WTP) begins